I must admit that I am enjoying the changing of the seasons. The days are getting shorter, there is a hint of chill in the air and home gardeners have more tomatoes than they know what to do with. This week, I was the lucky recipient of a bag of ripe heirlooms, and my oregano plant is going gangbusters. Here is a simple and delicious way to use this amazing bounty.
Fresh and Easy Antipasto
- 3-4 medium tomatoes
- 1 cup pitted green olives
- 2 Tablespoons capers
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 5 sprigs fresh oregano
- fresh ground pepper
- In a medium bowl, mix olives and capers with olive oil. Set aside.
- Core and slice tomatoes. Lay tomatoes slices around the outer edge of a serving platter. Top with a few grinds of fresh black pepper.
- Spoon olives, capers and olive oil into the center of the serving dish.
- Remove leaves from oregano sprigs and sprinkle leaves over everything.
- Serve with a basket of fresh bread and sparkling white wine.